-
October 24th, 2005, 07:33 PM
#1
Inactive Member
-
October 24th, 2005, 08:09 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
That is sure a nice looking piece.
I think their might be 3, 12ax7's inside the cans.
close up
http://xs52.xs.to/pics/05431/1022alteca11.jpeg
-
October 25th, 2005, 02:28 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Since we posted, the guy added the manual at the bottom.
He did a nice job with it. Maybe Todd would like to copy it
for the library. Lots of info.
-
October 28th, 2005, 09:11 AM
#4
Inactive Member
That particular 1567 looks real nice, and someone's gone to considerable trouble "fixing it up", with the custom cab and I/O panel. You could get a "road case" with them when new, but seldom see one of those anymore. I didn't notice if it included a 15095 line xfmr, which would be needed for a balanced line out. I think the 1567 is the only application that uses a 15095 in the output, but they're commonly used for balanced inputs on 1568s, 69s, and 70s, as well as others. 1567s also have octal sockets for transformers on each input as well, adding a little versatility.
The 1567 was a very good mono preamp/mixer, though I think some online "guru" may have exagerated it into the 'magical' realm, as they regularly bring $400-600 on the Bay, which might be justified for a mint collectable, but IMO is a little too much for someone wanting to put one to work, as most all of them are old enough to need re-capping, at least. Due to their popularity among neophytes, don't be surprised to find various performance-altering mods to have been performed either. I'd like to have a pair, but will wait for the chance at a more realistic price, like at a univ. surplus auction, etc.
-
October 28th, 2005, 12:28 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I went back and checked, the unit has a full complement of I/O transformers and an added bracket to hold them in place during transit (good idea). You can't tell which ones by the pictures, but would guess the inputs are 4722s or some of the 1588 variants. Which ones you'd actually need would depend on the mics selected for use (lo/hi Z, sensitivity, phantom power, etc.). Since the transformers can run from $25-100 each, it might be wise to ask which they are, to see if they're right for your application.
-
October 29th, 2005, 01:57 AM
#6
Inactive Member
The 1567 uses 12ax7's, one of the most common tubes ever made, and still in production by all the remaining manufacturers. The rest of the 'green line' also used very common tubes which are largely still in current production also, such as EL34, 5AR4, 5R4GY, 6SN7GTB, 811A, etc. Of all the greenies I've restored and serviced, only one tube comes to mind I've had trouble finding, the 'B' variant of the 6W6GT used in the 1570B's, though earlier 6W6GT's are plentiful, and the EL34 can be subbed with minimal circuit modification.
If one were to believe all the on-line hype regarding NOS tubes, you'll pay through the nose for them. Although there ARE instances where some NOS tubes are noticeably superior to current production tubes (as in the case of most triodes and a few others), they're seldom worth the 10X or more price difference. (Anyone wishing to argue this better bring some <u>technical</u> proof!). Of course, I'm referring to performance, as someone interested in regular use of these classics would be concerned with. For someone merely interested in the vanity boost of being able to show off their shelved collection to their buddies, while touting the magical properties of each component, this doesn't apply.
Hype rules in that world, where magic is king, and technical truth is blasphemy. Anytime I can sell a pair of NOS tubes for enough to buy a lifetime supply of quality replacements, I laugh at those fools all the way to the bank!
There actually ARE some hard-to-find replacement parts for older Altec electronics, such as 200K audio taper pots, DPST 2A rotary switches, moxies (Cantherm, from Digikey, if you're looking), and correct-value FP-type electrolytic caps. Still nothing a good tech can't come up with a workaround for, though. Simply put, if you've got a good chassis, transformers, and chokes, you've got a restorable item. These generalities apply to all brands of vintage gear, not just Altec.
-
October 29th, 2005, 02:37 AM
#7
Inactive Member
417-Alnico;
I just thought of something to prove my point I'm sure you can relate to, that being the general avoidance by the buying public of reconed speakers. You and I both know that those 417s you offered were as close to being "time-machine new" as possible, yet they didn't move as well as many others of unknown/questionable condition, did they? Just another case of the majority being either too dumb to recognize the truth, or (more likely) too lazy to search it out. The really scary part.......these people VOTE! They seem to have forgotten that in the good ol' USA we have the hard-earned right to form and express our own opinions, based on logic, experience, and plain old horse-sense. Why have an opinion of your own, when you can simply borrow one from some "guru" on the internet?
Scary....very scary....like a bunch of sheep impatiently waiting to be led to slaughter...
-
November 6th, 2005, 08:57 AM
#8
Inactive Member
hey does anyone know of where i can get modification data for the altec 1567a. i want the noise floor lowered. i heard this is possible.
this is the first time i tried using a forum so hopefully you can help me out.
-
November 6th, 2005, 02:09 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Sorry, I think you'll find that most of the members here actually like Altec gear......just the way it is. For the best in repair and testing, try Iratech (contact info is on Altec unofficial homepage, link below), though I don't think he'll perform non-factory mods, either. When these units are operating as designed, I think you'll find that the noise floor is about as low as the technology at the time of manufacture allowed.
-
November 6th, 2005, 08:08 PM
#10
Inactive Member
thanks for the info.....just to let you know though,....i do love altec gear as it is...but i want to use their genuine characteristics in pro recordings. so i hope nobody took any offense to my question about somewhat altering the unit. i'll check out the link you recommended.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks